Because of its isolated position the Obelisk has acquired a good collection of graffiti and much of it dates back to the period when the cadets at the Royal Military College were able to roam about the town. They left not only their names, but also the date and their college numbers.
According to Gordon Wellard in ‘Camberley’s Mysterious Obelisk’ most of the names were carved between 1830 and 1865. He gives the details of one carver – C31 Churchill, who was Mackenzie Churchill who entered the college on 1st August 1861 at the cost of £100. He was 18 and a half. He left six years later and bought his commission in the army in 1868.